When the Battle of France began in May 1940, the majority of the tanks possessed by the British Expeditionary Force were Mark VI variants; the seven Royal Armoured Corps divisional cavalry regiments, the principal armoured formations of the BEF, were each equipped with 28 Mk VIs. The 1st Armoured Division, elements of which landed in France in April, was equipped with 257 tanks, of which a large number were Mk VIB and Mk VICs. The 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, which formed part of the division’s 3rd Armoured Brigade, possessed by this time 21 Mark VI light tanks. The British Army lost 331 Mark VI light tanks in the Battle of France of 1940. Several of these vehicles were captured by the Wehrmacht, redesignated as Leichter Panzerkampfwagen Mk. IV 734(e) and used for training purposes until the fall of 1942. Then, in November the decision was made to develop a self-propelled gun on the basis of the captured Mk IVs. They carried a 105 or 150 mm field howitzer and were designated G.Pz. Mk. VI (e). All these SPGs were subsequently lost during the defense of France in the summer and fall of 1944.
Leichte Panzerkampfwagen Mk. IVB 734(e)
Leichte Panzerkampfwagen Mk. IVC 734(e)
Mk VIB Beobachtungspanzer
Mk VIB Munitionspanzer
10.5cm leFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen auf Fahrgestell Mk VI 736 (e)
7,5 cm PaK-40 auf Vickers Mk VI (e)